What to do if you are rough sleeping or see someone sleeping rough

Please contact StreetLink. This is a national referral service covering England and Wales which can help connect people with their local outreach teams or other support in their area. 

If you see someone sleeping rough, call StreetLink on 0300 500 0914 or visit their website. You can also download the StreetLink app.

Please note though: if you are concerned about someone's health on the street, use 999 emergency services rather than StreetLink. 

Local authorities will have their own arrangements for supporting people sleeping rough. Please check your local council's website for more local information and local partner services. St Mungo's has outreach teams in London and across the south and south west. Outreach services in other areas are provided by other organisations.

What to do if you are in housing crisis

If you fear you're about to become homeless, there are organisations who can give advice and support:

  • Your first stop should be your local council's housing department. Contact details for the relevant department of most London boroughs can be found on the Homeless Link website.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Shelter Line - Shelter's free phone national housing advice line on 0808 800 44 44

Finding an affordable place to live in London is very difficult. If you are currently in accommodation it is best to do everything possible to keep it.

There are support services available that can advise you on how to keep hold of your current accommodation. Find details of these and other services for homeless people in London.

If you are outside of London, we recommend you do not come to the capital but seek support through your local Housing Options council teams, or other local agencies.

Information in other languages

The Citizens Advice Bureau has factsheets on different topics, including employment and benefits, in a range of languages, including Polish, Czech, Chinese, Punjabi and Gujerati

Related content